Sunday, April 14, 2019

A haircut instead of food? Yes.

RECOVERY JOURNAL
April 13, 2019

It’s official. I’m in Palm Springs. In the City Council Chamber. My friend is the mayor. He’ll vouch for me. He’ll vouch that I exist. He'll vouch that I exist and was in the City Council chambers and saluted the flag. (That’s all I can really ask for at this point.)

It’s April 13th, but today the thirteenth is lucky, not unlucky. It is a blessed thing. I am sober this April 13th, and it’s a Saturday, not a Friday, all of which portends well. Let us portend, not pretend.

The Dog Days are Over, and maybe they are and maybe they’re not, but in any case, there you go, and here you are. And there it is.

I have about fifty dollars to my name. Am I a fool for wanting to spent half of it on a haircut? No, I’m a fool for other reasons. This is just a faint slice of what is to come.

The Dog Days are Over, and surely they are as long as I let God’s will be my guide and stick with the program. I don’t think it’s God’s will for me to get a fancy haircut or even a plain one, wrapped in not-so-much, but it’ll make me feel better. And that, in and unto itself, is worth something. Worth what, I don’t know. But something, okay? Okay. 

I’m supposed to write a thousand words of substance, not a thousand words of blather. But sometimes blather is what’s in the offing. And sometimes a thousand words is more than I can come up with. Or get down with. Go ‘head now, get down, get down. 

There are people you hear from all the time, and people you just don’t hear from anymore. And sometimes not hearing from them is a blessing. Like Jamie Foxx—not to cast aspersion, but yes, to do so, I suppose. 

So will I spend maybe $25 of the remaining $50 or so I have, today, to get a haircut? Yes, I suppose I will. Not because I ought to. But because, well, I’ll do $25 of Ben’s will today vs. God’s will. Spending a bit (and yeah, that’s a bit of money) today on Ben’s will will I suppose help further Ben at least in terms of confidence and confidants. Though I really shouldn’t. At all. And there you go. But I need to have money to get back to Los Angeles, and money to rent a car, and then drive that car back to Palm Springs, and then drive Uber and get more money and. 


And.

And there you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JUNETEENTHprideFATHERSDAYrecovery

There is a snapshot of me at about 2 years old, perched on my seated father's extended leg like a jockey on a horse. My hands are held l...