Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Lump Oak

My time here is finished. For now, at least. 

Lump Oak—that’s what my telephone’s speech-to-text tool wants to call this place, though I know it better as Lompoc. Or the Mission Valley. The City of Flowers and Arts. The City of broken down greenhouses and no more flowers. The city of hardscrabble people and liquor stores and dusty minivans and muffler dealers and chickens wandering though barren fields at the edge of town and wind always wind always wind, whistling, pushing-pulling-shouting at you.

I found my sobriety here in Lompoc during a month in a homeless shelter I can hardly stand, a shelter I also love. My sobriety, too, I can hardly stand and also love. Dearly. I’ve got to love it dearly or I can’t put up with it. Like a husband or wife or child. Like anything. 

This shelter makes me curse and sputter at those who curse and sputter. I put on my headphones and walk in circles around the enormous parking lot listening to public radio and 12-step podcasts. I go for miles, buffeted by wind, dampened by rain from a sky that weeps tenfifteentwenty times each day in little jags instead of in one triumphant bout. I go until my knees ache and my shoes are soaked and then I get on my borrowed bicycle and ride off whispering, seething “willingness, motherfuckers, willingness” from my sluggish, bluish lips on my way to another meeting, onetwothree a day, where there is blistering hot coffee and well-mopped linoleum and a list of promises written nearly a century ago that say that if I follow these principles in all my affairs, that before I’m even halfway through I’ll be rocketed into a new dimension.

Tomorrow I’ll be rocketed to Pasadena, California in a small truck driven by Pastor Brian, taken for an assessment at what I’m told is an idyllic sanatorium-style recovery hospital for drunks and addicts. I’ll meet a counselor there, and then a psychiatrist. With luck, they’ll take me. 

I hope to be deemed workable, not one of those who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. 

My constitution here in Lump Oak is strong. As is my will, which is not necessarily a good thing when it becomes necessary to give one’s self over to this simple program. Or this complicated program. Or anything directed not by self-will. 

Honesty with myself? I’m doing my best. (Which isn’t all that spectacular.) Most days I stop short of making others guffaw. So I suppose I’m doing okay.

This afternoon, the Air Force Base sent Bridgehouse a surplus crate of fleece-lined, all weather military dress coats. They're well made and sturdy with wide double breasts, thick sashes, and rows of buttons down the front. This was a chilly drizzly day, so we passed the coats out immediately and everyone put them on, turning the room into a ragtag squadron of WWII spies and private detectives. Men and women young and old leaned against invisible lamp posts and spouted made-up film noir dialogue. It was London, or Hollywood, and we were glamourous. And toasty.

A few hours later, on my last night here at the shelter, a group of Harley-Davidson Bikers for Jesus came to grill up hamburgers along with a sharp warning to accept Christ as Lord and Savior or we’d end up in the lake of fire with Satan. 

There were some hiccups during the preparation of the meal and the process took longer than expected. It was already half an hour past normal dinnertime when the jowly motorcycle pastor wearing baseball cap stood up in front of us. He cracked open his worn Bible, cleared his throat, and started in with pre-meal fire and brimstone. 

We sat hungry and unamused, most of us still dressed as spies and gumshoes in our fancy coats. Stomaches rumbled, expressions were sour, and one look around made it plain that ministering to the woebegone was headed south fast. 

Aware of this, a potbellied biker with a straggly beard grabbed a bag of Hershey’s Kisses and started walking through the crowd, handing chocolates to the women and children to keep them quiet. 

The pastor droned on a while. Then food was passed, first to the women, then the children and finally to us men. It took an eternity. By the time I was handed a plate, the burger was dry and shriveled. Forlorn. It seemed to have been lost in the wilderness for forty years. Perhaps with the Israelites. 

I nodded and muttered clumsy appreciation nonetheless. At this, the pastor beamed, his eyes twinkling beneath his low-slung cap. He lay a thick hand on mine. And suddenly, whatever distance had existed between us fell away. Jesus was indeed Lord and Savior. And the burger was delicious by default. 

Willingness, motherfuckers, willingness. And Jesus. And a full belly. And a fancy coat and a warm bed.


Goodnight, Lump Oak. I’ll miss you. 


9 comments:

  1. I enjoy your words Ben, and I as always keep you in my prayers for recovery, one day at a time. Thank you for sharing and making your experience felt, life is as beautiful as it is tumultuous, xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so gifted, I was glued to
    your words. I am confident you’ll be deemed an excellent candidate for the program. We are in ⭐️your corner. ⭐️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to get most of the items..Make sure and keep me posted when a potential care package would be best received.I want you to know I care deeply that you are okay..Hugs JS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Ben, you and your words are truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harsh but true - you need to get out of this imagined public eye. Fans, followers, whatever you want to call it, it's just more addiction. It keeps you in performance mode, avoiding your private pain and truth. Stop turning the spotlight on yourself, and search privately for peace. Maybe then you'll have a story you'll choose to share someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope all goes well at your next place, I'm praying for you. I pray you'll bounce back and be stronger than ever.

    ReplyDelete

JUNETEENTHprideFATHERSDAYrecovery

There is a snapshot of me at about 2 years old, perched on my seated father's extended leg like a jockey on a horse. My hands are held l...